Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Resting and chilling in Bali












Its been a week since I arrived and I have now landed in my body, am sleeping in Bali time and am loving this space -  I am staying in such a wonderful house with beautiful people here to make my stay so welcoming and comfortable.  I get fresh fruit and a fresh coconut each morning and I have been taking things really slowly and gently and feel comfortable and at peace.  Its a wonderful feeling.  




Bali is a heaven for tourists, the weather is amazing, there is everything to make us feel the amazingness of island life, its ideal, and Ubud, is filled with tourists from all over the world all here for different reasons, some passing through, some staying, all just enjoying the wares and hospitality of these beautiful people.         
This is the Golden Goddess - my chariot for the next month
I had decided before I arrived here,  I would learn to ride and then hire a bike. Well after 1 lesson I realised learning to ride a bike is not as easy as I thought  and would it take me at least a week or more to master so I have hired a car to be more mobile and so that I can explore this island at my leisure and in my own time.  On Tuesday, I took charge of the golden goddess chariot  and I feel so free and independent - especially as I am able to drive on the left hand side of the road.
What is so incredible about my adventure is that I am doing everything in my own time and at my leisure - and that is the golden gift of my sabbatical and  although its been a week since I arrived, today is really only the third day that I have felt present and able to adventure into the outside world.  Its beautiful here with so many temples, shrines, coconut palms, bananas (or piesangs as they are called by the locals, much to my delight), orchids, frangipanis, blessings and the energy and essence of Asia, which differs so much with the west and Africa.


I have been wondering how to write my blog posts from Bali, as this part of my journey was to start writing my book, to catch up with myself and its very much an inward adventure. But as I progress I am sure the stories and experiences will be expressed perfectly as they are meant to.

What is amazing is how happy I am to be alone here and haven't felt lonely once.  I am enjoying the space, the beauty, the gentleness, the weather even though it can be a bit humid, the rain, the sounds, the smells, the food, the people so much, and I am completely at home and in my element.  I feel absolutely no pressure and that is so refreshing for me - this is the part of my journey where I Am shifting and becoming so much more of who I am - my essential and authentic self - and will I want to leave here - mmmmm not really I can feel that already, but I do know that I can come back at any time.

I am here until the 26th June and have worked on a plan to explore Bali aswell as nest here in Penestanan, just outside Ubud.  I spent time on the internet checking out the Island and trying to find as many places to visit that are not full of tourists, which may be a little difficult but I do know that south is where the vast majority of tourists, surfers, divers and mainstream tourists go, so those are the parts I have chosen to ignore although I may do a day trip to Kuta to check it out and meet Drumcafe's drum distributor.  Bali is small - and when I started my planning for my road trip the distances between the places I plan to spend the night are all around 100km with many villages and towns in between which is great as I have lots of time to enjoy each place in as much time as possible.

Ilhu
But that's next week and all for another post - right now I wanted to share a little about the people here and the wonderful people that are supporting me in making my time so special.  Ilhu is co-owner of the house, foreigners can't buy property here it seems and usually have a local partner in whose name the property is registered and run.  Ilhu is wonderful, she is very well educated and knows the tourist industry really well.  The women seem to work really hard and have the business head - this is just my own observation.

The Balinese name their children from a system specifically used by the themselves.  Since most Balinese are Hindus, most names are Hindi or Sanskrit, while others still use native Balinese one. Regardless of being male or female, each person receives one of four names based on birth order. Though there are significant variations in the four names of Balinese people, some due to caste membership, and others due to regional customs and variations in the Balinese language between the North and the South of the island, there are four names in Balinese culture that are repeated frequently. The firstborn is "Wokalayan" (Wayan or Yan, for short), second is "Made," third is "Nyoman" or "Komang" (Man or Mang for short), and fourth is "Ketut" (often elided to Tut) - thank you Wikipeadia.  


Erni
Erni cleans the house, does the washing and makes my breakfast each day.  She is a delight, and can't speak much English and is teaching me names for the things in the kitchen - so this is how I learned that bananas are piesangs, coconut is klapa, the fridge is the ys-kas, sugar is gula, to say thank-you is terimakasi after which they say matur suksme (which I am assuming is 'its a pleasure or you are welcome'), goodbye is da da, my favourite is that 'f' is pronounced 'p' so fifty is 'pipty' - blessed beings.

Martini
Ilhu organised a masseur to come to the house to give me massages, how lucky I am, and her name is Martini - a lovely girl and I am privileged to have had 2 massages from her already. In Bali there are massage houses everywhere and reflexology and little fish that eat the skin off your feet - ooooo that scares me haven't tried that yet - actaully saw that in Jozi first - its becoming really popular - I will have a session before I leave Bali but still find it a bit weird.


When the local people ask me where I am from, and I say South Africa, they have 2 responses - one is - AH Waka Waka - and the other is AH Nelson Mandela - the king of Africa - both of these make me smile so much.  Its amazing how the world cup being in South Africa made an impact in the world - most don't have any idea where Africa is let alone South Africa - but soccer they know, Waka Waka they know and our beloved Madiba has become King of Africa - a worthy title indeed.

     

I have started working on my book and it is amazing to actually sit down and start to write.  This has been in my heart for more that 8 years now and I have worked on a strategy and an outline for the book although, as with everything else in my life, this is a divine journey and so it will manifest and be created with divinity and flow from source.  I am blessed to have the space and the opportunity to allow this to manifest at this time and being in such a sacred, gentle and supportive space will give me the start that I need in creating this.

I have to end off by telling you that today I visited a Drum Factory in Ubud, amazing place that manufacture djembe drums, didgeridoos, shakers, instruments, kagun box drums, hungs - a wonderful vibrant warehouse and they distribute all over the world.  And I bought myself a fibre-glass djembe with a goat skin - and today I drummed - and my soul is dancing with the rhythm.  This is my new beloved drum and she will joining me on my travels from now on.

Da Da from a very blessed and gentle Bali, until next time xx


1 comment:

  1. Hi Nids,
    There is quite a different energy to your writing from Bali as opposed to Italy. I reckon the fact that there are people taking care of you makes all the difference too!

    ReplyDelete