Sunday, June 17, 2012

Finding Silence, Peace and Security

" I was looking for Silence, Peace and Security .......... I found them in me .......... I AM secure and in peace in my inner silence ..............  for I AM Light ........... for I AM Love " Jean-Guy Martin




With about 10 days left in Bali and feeling a very quiet and reflective energy within myself, I am busy planning the rest of my visit and preparing for being on "the road again" so to speak.  I am so settled and part of me could just stay in this mellow, island energy for ever.  Its completely away from the world here where I am, a cocoon of silence, peace and security.  No matter where I go on this island, even on the busiest road or beach or temple there is a feeling of peace and stillness here that permeates everything.  I am aware that much of what I am feeling and what I am experiencing is a mirror of my journey and I am sure that each person who visits Bali or travels for that matter, mirrors their own experience in their own unique way.  


I have visited a few of Bali's treasures with my friends, who came to spend a week in Bali, which  was great as it gave me the opportunity to have people with whom to explore a little of this amazing island and its rich cultural heritage.

These are a few of the places we visited and the information I have given here is from websites on line that explain a little about each place - these are translated from Balinese into English so the grammer is a little off and I have tried to edit them without loosing their essence :






"Tegalalang ( Rice terrace ) is located at 5 km northern part of Ubud Village. The rice terrace is beautifully designed located on the hill bank. Here you see Balinese farmers working the rice fields which contain complete irrigation systems. Here one can enjoy the beautiful panorama of valley with rice terraces and coconut trees. "

           


"Gunung Kawi (meaning ‘carving in the mount’) is a 10th century Hindu temple complex located in the Gianyar regency. To explore the entire site, descend the 300-step stone stairway leading to a beautiful valley where you will find ten seven-metre-high memorials carved into the rock face.


Four can be found on the west side and five on the east side of the river, while to the south across the valley lies another. According to legend, these ruined temples are the memorial shrines of the king's concubines and his family. These days, Gunung Kawi sanctuary is still used for ritual ceremonies and locals gather periodically to offer the usual gifts and to pay homage to God, the ancient king, and his family"


Visiting this temple was absolutely incredible - and climbing 300 stairs down and then 300 stairs up was another challenge - wow - I made it but it took a long time with 2 long breaks coming up.
Its so powerful to feel ancient energy deep in Mother Earth's depth and to experience an honouring of such rich proportions.  So different to the ornate churches in Italy and the decorations are completely natural and of the earth.  It was incredible to sit near the tombs and shrines, on rock that has a story and an energy from so, so long ago.








"Yeh Gangga Beach is black sandy beach located in Yeh Gangga Village, southern part of Tabanan Regency or just 15 minutes from the famous tourist destination, Tanah Lot. It is blessed by the breathtaking view of Indian Ocean and spectacular sunset with flat black sand stretched 300 meters from east to the west. "                             


Finding this beach was a journey - we were stopped by a traffic policeman who tried to extort money from us, drove on some of the worst roads, through rice fields, villages and completely off the beaten track - and we arrive to a litter filled beach with black sand and completely untouched by tourists.  The beach was amazing with this rock outcrop that has a heart shape, a temple on the beach, a vast open space.  Swimming in the sea again, in warm water, jumping in the waves and cleansing was so invigorating and refreshing - my soul is happy.

"The Sacred Monkey Forest is a sanctuary that demonstrates harmonious coexistence of humans and nature and is situated in the sacred village of Padantegal in Ubud, surrounded by temples.  This cultural sanctuary is not only an important part of Balinese heritage, but also an important part of everyday life. The Sacred Monkey Forest,in conjunction with Udayana University in Denpasar have identified 115 separate species of trees.  The monkeys within the Sacred Monkey Forest are commonly called long-tailed macaques (Macasa fasicicuiaris).  Within Balinese Hinduism, monkey can be the embodiment of both positive and negative forces.  The dual nature of monkeys is reflected in Ramayana (a very popular Indian epic poem) - Sita (Rama's beloved bride) is abducted by Rawana (an evil king), Rama (incarnation of Dewa Wisnu) calls upon Sugriwa (king of the monkeys) and Hanuman (Sugriwa's General) to help retrieve Sita.  However, within the Ramayana, there are also antagonistic monkeys like Subali that attempt to assist Rawana.  In the end, Hanuman, along with his monkey army, defeats Rawan's evil forces and helps Rama to retrieve Sita.  Because monkeys embody both positive and negative forces, the Balinese both loathe and revere monkeys.  The monkeys that occupy sacred sites like the Monkey Forest, are revered and protected, one of the reasons being that monkeys, in the form of a Barong (Gods, Goddesses and Demons), are believed to be capable of guarding temple sites against evil spirits.  The Balinese belief that monkeys are negative in nature is reinforces when, for example, they raid rice fields or snatch items from souvenir shops.


These monkeys are like cats - they are well fed, and docile and stretch out and wander around just like my cats at home, they are so responsive and socially interactive and very cute.  And they fight, just like cats do, vying for status and showing their emotions.  The forest is amazing and the trees are so full of energy and aliveness.  But there is no place on earth quite like the Garden Route forests, oceans and rivers - the paradise that is my home is something that I am reminded about every day.  


"Kintamani Volcano and Batur Lake
Mount Batur is located at Kintamani and it has erupted about 24 times since year 1800 and still active up to now. Since the mount erupting, it has impacted to the local society life around this mount, like removing altar (Temple), improve or repairing the village and re-arrange the tradition. Lake Batur is the biggest lake in Bali and functioning as irrigation source to all farmers around it and it is also for all Bali society generally. Kintamani area has been founded some lodging, hotels and restaurants which are located in Kintamani and Penelokan Village. It is a famous tourist place because Kintamani area owns the beautiful panorama and it is encircled by the cold atmosphere."




 


It was quite an amazing experience to sit and watch and feel the energy of an active volcano.  It was a cloudy, smoky day so we didn't get to see the volcano in its full glory, but the power and energy emanating from this mountain is powerful and culpable.



"Goa Gajah, or Elephant Cave, is an archaeological complex in the village of Bedulu, 3km east of Ubud. Now a temple site, it boasts an assortment of large old structures and relics, some restored to their full glory today such as a bathing pool with working water spouts for holy water during ceremonies. Goa Gajah attracts visitors and local Hindu pilgrims. Various structures reveal Hindu influences dating back to the 10th century, and relics feature elements of Buddhism dating even earlier to the 8th century. Hence, the site is a silent witness of the Hindu-Buddhist era, built about the same period as that of the Borobudur temple in Central Java."











At this Temple I had an experience that made me really sad and reflects for me how understanding other cultures is so important, and how as a tourist I have lots to learn.  A man came to guide me around the temple and gave me lots of amazing information and shared his knowledge - when it came to give him some money, I just didn't have much in my purse and scraped together what I had.  Which for him was such an insult that he wouldn't take it and we were both devastated. Him because he had given me his time and shared his information and me because I had insulted him and that was not my intention.  This incident really made me stop and look at how I function in the world around me and one of the things that happens here so much is there is no space to enter into a negotiation or wander around doing your own thing.  Everywhere there is a bombardment of guides, taxis, vendors, people wanting to sell something and there seems to be no understanding for 'no thank you' or 'not now' or 'I just want to look on my own" - there are so many vendors and people needing to make the sale and do the deal that its quite disconcerting and makes things a little difficult.  I didn't engage the guide or negotiate with him to guide me around the temple, and when I tried to explain my predicament he got so angry that he wouldn't listen to me.  I carried that incident for a week, my heart was really sore and I still feel uncomfortable about it - we all make mistakes, this touches my issues with having more than others, with integrity, with taking on things that I don't have to and the hugest lesson in this is to accept how it worked out, to take responsibility for my behaviour and actions and then to let it go and move on.  I am grateful to the guide for being my teacher or guide in a lesson that has plagued me for so many years in my life in South Africa.  I bless him and thank him and now as I write this, I am letting him go.

I have now been to 3 beaches, and I need to say here that they are beautiful and do have palm trees and stall holders and vendors there to make one's life pleasurable and great, but they are so full of litter and the amount of vendors is overwhelming.  How it looks on the travel guides is how it is, its idyllic and beautiful but its also dirty and full of plastic bottles, and packets, wherever one looks.  And people just walk and throw their rubbish onto the ground, everywhere, which I find quite shocking.  But again it is what it is - will we ever deal with the issue of litter and taking responsibility for our waste - I wonder ?











I will write 1 more post from Bali - and I will share my last 10 days with you all - but for now I wish you well, be blessed and stay warm and cozy :-)

Until next time, Om Shanti Om xx


No comments:

Post a Comment