Sunday, April 22, 2012

Beloved and Blessed Siena

Leaving the retreat and the countryside and the safety and protected space of Casala san Bartolomeo was a little challenging for me and it is confirmed how much I love the country spaces and the slow gentle pace far more than the busy city life.  But in saying that,  the transition is actually the challenging part and once I am settled in my new space, and start to wonder and experience the magic on offer, I relax into my new surroundings.  And so it was with Siena.  What a magical and wonderful town with so much to offer - and walking around, being in each moment and allowing to happen has been so wonderful.  I made no plans - came accross all the sights and had the most marvelous 2 1/2 days.


I am in a flow now and i have a rhythm and am super organised.  It takes me a few minutes to pack each time, I have the train times and all the info I need and its working - YAY - I have 2 days less than a month left in Italy and lots to do and see.



It was very choppy weather - changing from rain in an instant to a clear, blue sky with sun and warmth, to suddenly raining again, but walking on the old, cobbled streets, whether in rain or sun, was wonderful.


My first evening I went to a medieval restaurant serving traditional Tuscan food - so delicious, home cooked food and I had vegetable soup that warmed my heart - let me tell you now about how restaurants work here - the bread they put on the table, whether you eat it or not, you get charged for.  Everyone orders water so its standard on your bill as well.  One thing I have noticed is that very seldom is there salt or pepper on the table - and the bread is usually unsalted.  The food is so tasty and flavourful that it does not need salt and that's the reason for the bread being unsalted.  And the food is really delicious - so rich with flavour and cooked with so much passion and the most wonderful ingredients.  Each cafe or bar, trattoria or restaurant is stocked with the most amazing pastries, cakes, breads, cheeses, meats, and gelato, which is so abundant.  And not to mention the coffee - YUM !!!



                         

On Thursday evening just after I arrived, I went to sit in the sun at a Cafe and had a cup of coffee and as I was about to leave I recognised a small sign - Sinagoga ebraica - Hebrew Synagogue - and I was so excited as I missed the Jewish Museum in Rome and wanted to see something from my heritage here in Italy.  I followed the signs, and at the door met a woman, Danielle (another one :-)) the Rabbi's wife.  I arranged to attend the Shabbas service at the Synagogue the following evening - at 19h00 - she did say that I should expect many people as the community was very small in Siena.  I was so excited !

On Friday morning it was raining so hard, the only thing to do was to go to museum and I did in the middle of the central piazza in Siena - Piazza del Campo.  There was an exhibition going on outside the museum entrance , and although I couldn't find anyone speaking English to give me details on the exhibition, there were pictures and creative pieces that depicted what it seems to be to do with oppression, abuse of power, destruction and the deep problems of the world.  It was sad and touching, I did take a few pics but some of the concentration camps were too hard to look at and definitely not to photograph, and then I cam across a poster about South Africa and the apartheid issue - although in Italian - it was amazing and I had a good cry - whoever did these pieces of art, depicted so many issues that touch the world - I have an email address of the organiser and will write an email (translated into Italian) so I can find out more.


   
                           

                  










Powerful stuff !!! I am happy that the rain subsided and the sun came out - and I was able to wander around the wonderful streets and clear the pain from my heart.  And then I came across the Cathedral of Siena (Duomo) - something that is absolutely out of this world.  Again the wealth and abundance of the Catholic Church is overwhelming and quite breathtaking - and then I went inside -  Absolutely beautiful - the shrines, the works of art the ceilings, the floors - wow !



I fee "churched out"  and my pending Shabbat Service was something I was really looking forward to.
What a wonderful experience it was -Eli Rabini is the Rabbi and it was wonderful meeting him, and seeing the beautiful old Synagogue, rich in history (http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vjw/Siena.html) and with an old feel to it.  He lived and worked in South Africa many years ago and it was greatl to share some stories and experiences.  We lit candles at 19h00 (sunset now that its nearing summer) and then he did the service, signing with a beautiful voice, and me being the only other person to start off with.  Another member of the Jewish community of Siena joined us half way through - but although there were only us, the essence and beauty of the authenticity was so enriching and I felt fed and touched being part of something so special.  Daniella and Rabbi Eli invited me to have dinner with them and their 3 children after the service - what a wonderful evening - I am so blessed.


Saturday I wondered around, went to buy art materials for drawing my mandalas (I will post some pictures of my creations soon) and again dodged the intermittent rain.  At round 3 I decided to go for a walk and find some sun, and as I went downstairs I head drumming.  Not djembe but it was drumming and it was loud, resonating through the old streets, filling the space, and I followed it, to a new place in Siena that I had not been to - right to another church.  On 25th April is Italy's liberation day - much like our Freedom day on the 27th April, and in Siena they have a medieval festival, so the drummers and flag artists were practicing and the drumming was absolutely amazing.  I lapped it up, sat in the warm sun, and listened and felt each beat and each rhythm.  What a gift !!!!




And so its Goodbye Siena - a gift of space and time - the gratitude and blessings I am feeling for this opportunity are "wordless" and I look so forward to what Florence or as they say in Italy - Firenze,  will bring.

Be blessed always
Om Shanti Om




No comments:

Post a Comment