Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lord make me an instrument of Thy Peace ..



Assisi was just so wonderful - I absolutely fell in love with the peace and the magic of the ancient town - and felt my heart centre expand as I wondered the streets and alleys, enjoying the Easter festivities and the many many people who come here to celebrate their faith and honour their religion.  Although extremely busy with throngs of people, I was able to wander off and find some treasures that were far from the madding crowds that inspired and excited me.  And its was snowing on the mountains so it was so cold, and this added a crispness to the air and enhanced the warm, sunny spaces that I found to watch people.  


I have seen so many churches and basilicas since arriving in Italy and the funny thing is that when I eventually found the Jewish Museum & Great Synagogue, on my last day in Roma,  it was closed, so I have created my own sacred spaces wherever I have gone and found so much symbolism and magic everywhere.  


On my arrival in Assisi it was raining and really cold, but I went for a stroll and at the point when I took the above photos, I met 2 amazing woman Julie and Alison.  



Alison More, on the left,  originally from Canada, is now based at Radboud University in Nijmegen, Holland. She is a medieval historian, who is working mainly on identity formation in houses of religious women (not nuns - mainly beguines and tertiaries), and looking at the ways in which such women complemented or contradicted the official identities they were given.
And Julie McElmurry, on the right,  who lives and works in North Carolina, USA running an organisation called Franciscan Passages - http://www.franciscanpassages.org


It was amazing meeting Alison and Julie, and there was an instant connection by kindred spirits,  unfortunately they were leaving the next morning so our time was limited, but we have been in contact since then and we will continue to communicate and who knows they could very well come and visit in South Africa.


Assisi, home to St. Francis,  who gave up his nobility and wealth to serve the people and honour nature and all of God's creations.  What I find so fascinating is how much wealth has been spent on building this huge basilica to honour his memory and his sainthood and in the middle of this huge building is a small, humble and very sacred little chapel that was the original place of worship of St Francis.  This analogy is a reminder to me of how much emphasis is placed on creating an exterior world of such beauty and value, and then the amount of rules and regulations that are placed on managing and monitoring these creations and what is really at the heart is the inner castle, the sacred inner space of simplicity and pure light that needs so little to be and is beautiful as it is.


St Francis' PrayerO Lord, make me an instrument of Thy Peace!, Where there is hatred, let me sow love; Where there is injury, pardon; Where there is discord, harmony; Where there is doubt, faith;  Where there is despair, hope; Where there is darkness, light, and Where there is sorrow, joy. Oh Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved 
as to love; for it is in giving that we receive; It is in pardoning that we are pardoned; 
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.























I have begun to find my rhythm travelling and everything has its place now in my 2 bag, so when I have to pack up and leave its quick and efficient.  When I was in Narni, I cleared out my case and got rid of some of my clothes (given to charity) and made my life so much easier now - my case closes easily now !  Every now and again I get this thought that I have so many more months of travelling still to do - what an interesting reality !!!

When I booked my sacred adventure, I knew and know now, that I need space to be in peace and rest, and that city energy is too much for me for too long.  When I left Sedgefield on the 10th March - I was in Jozi for 17 days and then flew directly in Rome which is a huge city, went to Naples, back to Rome and then to Narni and Assisi at the most busy times of the year - Easter, so have been surrounded by so many people and so much energy for well over a month now.  As part of my itiniary I booked myself a stay at a guest farm in San Venanzo, which is in Umbria, and then was to do a yoga retreat near Perugia before heading off to travel and explore more of Italy.  The yoga retreat was cancelled, so I have extended my stay to 9 nights at Casale San Bartolomeo  ( http://www.casalesanbartolomeo.com ) and I couldn't ask for a better place to retreat.  Its so beautiful here, just like the Garden Route, with indigenous forests, green hills, peace and just the sounds of birds, crickets and nature.  I am so happy to have the clean air to breathe, the peace and tranquility to re-charge myself and prepare for the next month of travelling in Italy.  Casala San Bartolomeo is run by Gabriele and his wife Anna - they used to live in Roma and moved to the country 3 years ago with their 2 very sweet and beautiful daughters - Julia and Georgie.  Anna works at a bank in Perugia (about 40 minutes away) and Gabriele runs the house, takes the girls to school and he is a tourist guide, Italian teacher and amazing chef.  And the cuisine is amazing and so is the local wine :-)


This time I am going to use to write, read, walk and be in nature, sleep and just BE - in my previous post I mentioned that I Am Doing this journey, well the step after Doing is BE-ING and its in that Be- Ing that the deep connection with the Self happens and the loneliness subsides into a space of acceptance and bliss.
Being in nature and in tranquility assists me to shift and I feel at peace where I Am right now.

With love always
Om Shanti Om xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment